Thursday, May 31, 2012
Final full week in JLP
This past Monday the 28th our classes started. We have them every day from 9-1:30, with a 30 minute break in between. I am really enjoying Dr. Smith's class learning about all the marketing and production of movies. On Monday we learned of a project due on Thursday, where we got into groups and picked a film from the festival to figure out strategy for releasing the film in the U.S. and what we will do with it once we get the film into the states. The movie I was assigned to was Mud, which I was very happy about since I enjoyed it so much. In Dr. Kohn's class he discussed with us how to write film reviews well and then he picks students to read reviews he liked the most. Surprisingly I was the first one to read on Monday. I did my first review on Rust and Bone and it was a positive one. I mainly focused on the music and cinematography. Another classmate of mine, Grafton was selected to read his review of Rust and Bone as well and his review was very negative. From the comments of fellow students, most seemed to think his review was better written. I thought, how could you not enjoy the cynical and entertaining opinion he had. After class I went to do some laundry and try to get a new phone card for my phone, but the phone store was closed. I accidentally turned my white shorts and white tank tops light blue because I was not thinking and mixed all my laundry since it was so expensive to do. I borrowed bleach from someone and was able to get most of the color out. Our residence did not have internet either so I decided to go across the street to this little restaurant I really enjoy, Pan and Cake that had wifi. After I accessed all the information I needed to write my third set of reviews I went into my room to write. That night I planned a dinner for all of us to go to at Cafe Milan down the street from our place. Of course I was the last one to get there and sat at a separate table with Hilary, Lindsay, and Katio. We still had a great time and got complimentary drinks! Hilary and I went to finish our reviews after dinner and then went out for a little while with a small group of people. It was a quiet night but we enjoyed each others company since we were having withdraws from the festival. The next day class was pretty much the same as the day before but it was a beautiful and warm sunny day out. Right when class ended a group of us headed straight for the beach. The water was freezing but Madeline and I decided to go for a swim, it was very refreshing! The salt water was so clear and it did not sting my eyes like it usually does. There were barely any waves and I noticed a lot of people enjoyed swimming laps far out into the sea. That night Collin and Gary came to visit me, Hilary, and Laurie in jlp. We went to a really nice dinner at one of the beach restaurants. I had delicious grilled salmon and vegetables. Colin was very funny/entertaining and reminds me of Austin Powers with the ridiculous things he says and the grand gestures he makes. Gary was very polite and quite funny. We did not stay out late that night and I did my best to go to bed early. Wednesday morning Hilary and I were exhausted even though we did not stay out too late. After class we took about a two hour nap and then met with our group at Pan and Cake to work on our project. It did not take us long to finish and I had a delightful cappuccino with an omelet, fries, and salad. We headed back to our room afterwards and worked on our reviews. We were the only room that was lucky enough to get internet. Zac came over and visited with us for a little while and we had a few good laughs and then went to bed. Yesterday we also made our traveling plans. We made reservations for a one night stay in Monaco. It will be me, Hilary, Zac, Katio, Lindsay, and Cory. We are leaving today after class and spending the day there tomorrow as well. Friday night we plan to go to Ventimiglia, Italy to have dinner, so we can say we went to Italy! haha We have not decided exactly where we are doing Saturday and Sunday but we plan to do day trips!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment