Thursday, May 31, 2012

Last couple of days of the Cannes Film Festival

Thursday the 24th Hilary and I took a break for the day and just prepared for the premiere of the Paperboy premiering that night. We were able to get there early enough to beg for tickets! Zac and I were able to sit together in the balcony. We both really enjoyed the screening, Zac Efron, Nicole Kidman, and Matthew McConaguhey starred in. Nicole Kidman starred in a roll I had never seen her play before and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend seeing this film when it comes to the states. I have already written about Friday when I received Robert Pattinson's autograph and saw his premiere of Cosmopolis(best day of my life.) After the premiere on Friday we went to a party at the American Pavilion and socialized and networked with a few people. We also went to a bar called Byrons where they made mojitos in giant glasses and put roman candles and sparklers in them! We wandered around in Cannes for a little while after and ended up taking a taxi home soon after. Saturday Hilary and I hung around jlp and worked on a few reviews for Dr. Kohn's class. We left around 5 to make the train to Cannes for the Mud premiere with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew McConaguhey. Of course the trains were on strike and were about an hour behind. We called Sara a taxi that we have been taking since we've been here because she is a great price. It took her about an hour to get to jlp from Cannes because there was tons of traffic. As Sara arrived to pick us up a train was leaving and a few people took the train and made it to Cannes 20 minutes before us. We arrived in front of the Palais at 6:45 p.m. and the premiere started at 7 p.m. We were frantically holding up our signs and two of the girls were quickly handed tickets and swooped away. Right as I got there some random man in a nice tux came up to me and started randomly talking and I found out he was from Atlanta, Ga. He told me he was going to give me his extra orchestra ticket if his date did not arrive in time, I was very eager about this. Unfortunately his date arrived ten minutes before it was time to go in. Hilary and I were the only ones left trying to get last minute tickets. Finally a kind Asian man comes up to me and hands me a ticket for balcony seating...I did not want to go in until Hilary had a ticket so I waited around with her for a few minutes. Right before I headed in someone gave her a ticket in the orchestra! I was so jealous and she got great seats and was able to meet Reese Witherspoon! My friend Deanna received orchestra seats as well and sat two seats away from Alec Baldwin and Robert Pattinson, needless to say I was EXTREMELY jealous! Deanna told me Rob was even cuter in person! I still thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it was one of my favorites. I would suggest everyone see it when it comes to the states! There are two really cute young boys starring in it as well. One of the boys starred in the Tree of Life film with Brad Pitt that was released last year. After the premiere we all met outside to wait and see if any stars would come by. While we were waiting a random man named Dan came over to us and asked if we would like to experience "Champagne dreams and caviar wishes!" I thought this was an odd question and was not so sure about it but the rest of the group thought it sounded like fun. So we followed this man and his posse to the Ritz Carlton. His "private" room was not ready so we sat on the patio and chatted. Dan told us he was a producer and explained to us his grand idea of creating 3D television where you will not need glasses. He told everyone around us his great plans and was very repetitive. So we all started calling him 3D Dan. It started getting late so we decided to go to the Cannes Cinema Club instead. It was a very cool swanky looking jazz club. One of the rooms entrances was a book case that opened. We met another group of producers/musicians in the club. The producer was a man from Liverpool named Collin and the musicians were Nick(who had electric blue hair) and Scott(who had bright blonde hair) who were from L.A. They were here to market the music in their film, they did not expect anyone in Cannes to be interested in actually buying the film. They ended up having producers come to one of their screenings and 10 of them were interested in buying it. They were very ecstatic about this! We also met Gary who was with them and he was a recent graduate from Union Station in Northern London. He was a public relations major and took a class taught by Collin and he was trying to get an internship with Nick and Scott in L.A.  They were on their way to Old Cannes for dinner so we decided to join them. The streets of old Cannes reminded me of San Francisco. They were cobble stoned and very steep. We found a very cute, nice cave like restaurant to have dinner. While we were eating 3D Dan had a little too much wine and passed out! We all decided it would be best to try to leave him. We decided to go the Casino club with them after dinner. We could only get in with a special pass, which they had. This was where Rob and Kristen were seen on Wednesday night. Once we got to the Casino 3D Dan had caught up with us. When we got inside we were able to lose him again. The Casino was very posh and there was a beautiful patio with a grand piano on it and people were doing karaoke around the piano. We hung out here for a little and then went back to Nick and Scott's yacht where we heard some of their music they produced in their film, it was mainly rock&roll. Once I saw the sun coming up I decided we should probably go back to jlp and get some rest before we had our last day in Cannes. Hilary and I woke up on Sunday around 11 a.m. We were still extremely exhausted, but glad that we had such an entertaining last night in Cannes. Hilary and I arrived in Cannes around 1:30 to see the screening of Amour in the Debussy theater which ended up winning the Palme d'Or. This is the highest award you can win at the festival. Unfortunately Hilary and I did not really enjoy the film and left a littler earlier. We went to get delicious gelato we were told was amazing, and they were right! Then we went to stand in line at the Debussy again for the screening of the Hunt, which was a film we had been trying to see since the beginning of the festival. It was an intense and riveting film that we both loved and ended up doing our final reviews on. When the film ended we went to Cafe Roma to watch the Cannes Film Festival award shows. Only two people from our group ended up going to this because it was nasty and rainy outside and most of us didn't bring anything nice to change into. The lead actor of the Hunt Mad Mikkelsen won best male actor. This terrible film I saw near the beginning of the Festival, Reality won the Gran Prix(runner up.) The only winner I was really excited about was Mikkelsen. We all decided to leave Cannes after we watched the award show and me, Nick, Austin, and Alex all decided to stop by the Monoprix(like target) to get a few things. We ended up missing the train and had to take one to Antibes and then do a 20 minute walk from Antibes to jlp. Thankfully it had stopped raining by this time but it was pretty chilly. That night I had a quick bite to eat at the fast burger places with Zac and Austin and went to bed by midnight(I think this is the earliest I've gone to sleep since I've been here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment