Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First few days in Juan Les Pines/Canne

My first couple of days in Cannes, France have been very entertaining to say the least. I arrived around five on Saturday extremely exhausted. The eight people I arrived with all decided to go grab a bite to eat. So we went to a food stand called Master Burger that is well known for their baguette sandwiches. They include five meat patties and fries. I thought this was a very overwhelming choice and I just stuck to a normal burger since I cannot eat bread anyway. That evening we all went out to a restaurant/bar called Zapatas and met some locals. I could not understand what they were saying since I do not speak french but some of my fellow classmates were able to communicate. They were very nice and bought us the biggest bottle of wine I have ever seen. I will include a picture of this later! They work at a hotel here and said last year Angelina and Brad stayed at their hotel for the Cannes Film Festival. So I am hoping Robert Pattinson will stay there this time! We ventured out to cabana type bars on the beach as well and they were so beautiful. The drinks here are quite expensive, they are usually between five to nine euros. I was able to get a meal at Master Burger for five euros. Sunday I went to the beach with my roommate Hilary and another girl named Laurie. Most of our group came and joined us later. This was very relaxing and helped me get over my jet lag. Thankfully there were not that many topless women on the beach but there were a lot of speedos. The water was freezing but there were a lot of kids swimming. Hilary and I got some delicious frozen yogurt later on that day. Katio (another girl from the group)who can speak a little french went with me to get a phone card for our french phones so we can all communicate with one another through text. That night we went back to Master Burger but I got a hot dog instead and we went and sat inside this bar called Hemingways to eat because it was raining. While we were there a man who works at the bar brought over a huge trash bag full of ice and spilled the entire thing all over the floor. It was hilarious and they were able to easily clean it up. Later on we all met up in of the boys rooms and hung out and socialized for a little while then went to the beach and some more bars. We met some people from Liverpool and Canada. The people from Liverpool were not very nice. Before we went back to our place we went to the beach again and some people decided to skinny dip...needless to say I was very uncomfortable and just sat on the beach and waited until they were done! haha I did not want to walk back to my place by myself. Yesterday morning we had orientation for the two classes we will be taking. Critical Writing and Reviewing will be taught by Kohn and Telecommunication Research will be taught by Smith. They mainly just talked to us about the festival and how we should act. They said some of us might get lucky and get invited to after parties at nice hotels or on yachts! I was very excited to hear this! Last night we went and sat in this nice park where they had home cooked food for us. It included chicken, pasta, couscous, and of course wine. While we were eating Anna our program coordinator went around the table trying to decide if any of us looked like any famous celebrities. She said last year some students had their pictures taken and put in magazines mistaken for some celebrities. We could not really find anyone in our group who could be mistaken for any celebrities. Now we are off to our first day at Cannes!

1 comment:

  1. Hoping you get lucky and get invited to a yacht after partay! Work it, girl :)

    ReplyDelete